Sunday, November 7, 2010

Whaaat? You plan to send your kids to Kumon?



Years ago when I planned to send my kids to Kumon to learn up Math, some of the friends reacted in a surprising manner, 'Whaaat? You plan to send your kids to Kumon?' To them, to teach Math or English to kids of few years old is not a big deal. Actually, I have the same thoughts as well. But, why did I go ahead to send my kids to Kumon? Basically, there are two reasons.

To me, sending the kids to Kumon is not about the kids learning the content, meaning it is not about the kids picking up Math or English. It is about cultivating discipline in the kids. Kumon method is about having the kids consistently do homework (in worksheet style) each day.  Well, to teach the kids Math or English for a short period of time is an easy tasks but what about teaching them everyday for a few years? If you honest enough, you will agree with me that it can be a very challenging task.

Another point about Kumon method is the inherent ability to nudge students unconsciously to a higher level in well-paced and steady manner. Which means that after a period of time every kids, if they follow the system consistently and diligently, they can be very good in the subject matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment